Role and operating methods of the Scientific Committee
The Scientific Committee is a consultative body which gives its opinions and recommendations on ABES’s orientations with a view to future developments.
The Scientific Committee analyses all questions submitted by the Board of Directors and then provides opinions and recommendations for the Board.
It may also suggest matters that the Board of Directors should meet to discuss.
Its proposals are then submitted to the Board of Directors for approval.
The chairman of the Scientific Committee may invite outside participants to the Committee’s meetings if their areas of expertise are useful for matters scheduled to be discussed. The chairman may also request assistance from external experts if the members of the Scientific Committee consider they are not qualified to fully examine a given question.
This committee’s first meeting took place on December 17th 2010.
Composition of the Scientific Committee
The Board of Directors appointed the members of the Scientific Committee at their meeting on November 25th 2013. The Scientific Committee is made of professional figures who are experienced in ABES’s working areas. Their mandate is for three years. The Scientific Committee is made up of:
- 4 members from ABES partner organisations:
- Emmanuelle Bermès, BPI
- Gildas Ilien, BnF
- Stéphane Pouyllau, TGIR Humanum
- Catherine Morel, INIST (Institute for Scientific and Technical Information).
- 2 overseas professionals working in the same areas as ABES :
- Marylène Micheloud, director of RERO, the Library Network of Western Switzerland.
- John Tuck, Director of library services Royal Holloway, Université of London, Président of M25 consortium
- 4 researchers working in the same areas as ABES :
- Jean-Marie Pinon, LIRIS - INSA of Lyon
- Michel Chein, LIRMM, Montpellier 2 University.
- Laurent Romary, research director, INRIA (Institut national de recherche en informatique et en automatique, National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control).
- Philippe Vendrix, director of the Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies, Tours University.
- 4 library professionals working in University libraries:
- Monique Joly, Doc’INSA, Lyon.
- Gregory Miura, Bordeaux 3 University Library
- Yann Sordet, Sainte-Geneviève Library.
- Julien Roche, Lille 1 University Library
- 1 library professional working for a Public Scientific and Technical Research Institution (EPST)
- Jacques Millet, INRIA
- 2 elected ABES staff members
- Philippe Le Pape, for the head librarian college
- Julien Gibert, for the ingenior college
The chairman of the Board of Directors, the director of ABES and the supervisor of the Studies & Projects (Etudes et Projets) Department also attend Scientific Committee meetings.
Election of the chairman
The chairman of the Scientific Committee is elected for a renewable three year period from among the committee members.
Mr. Laurent ROMARY, research director at the National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control (INRIA) was elected chairman of the Scientific Committee at its meeting on December 17th 2010.